The SEPL Foundation has established the Jett & Lillian Mohr Service Award, given in recognition of the two people most influential in creating the Attica Public Library, now known as the Seneca East Public Library. The Reverend Jett Mohr, who later came to be known as the "Father of the Library," became the first official librarian around 1934 and served in that capacity until 1972 when his resignation, with regret, was accepted by the Board of Trustees. His wife, Lillian Mohr, began story hour in 1936 when the State Library of Ohio officially recognized the Attica Public Library.
The purpose of the award, which is to be presented annually at the reverse raffle and auction, is to recognize an individual or group who has significantly supported the Seneca East Public Library or the SEPL Foundation. Consideration for the award is given for support that includes any of the following:
1. An individual or group who has demonstrated significant leadership, either in a volunteer, participatory or advisory role that directly supports the Library or Foundation.
2. Generous or consistent financial support of the SEPL Foundation.
3. Embodiment of the mission, vision or philosophy of the Library.
4. Extraordinary or long-term commitment to the Library or Foundation by serving on boards, committees or as an employee of the Library.
5. Having assumed a leadership role related to a significant Foundation event and/or activity.
The inaugural recipient of the Jett & Lillian Mohr Service award is the Attica Lions Club. The Lions Club has generously supported the library financially for many years by providing computers and other technology support. Their members also give generously of their time in helping with the barbecue portion of the Foundation's Reverse Raffle. Attending members were presented with the award and certificate at the 16th annual Reverse Raffle and Auction along with a check to be used as a donation to a charity of their choice.
Current Club Members (not all pictured):
Dwight Everhart, Bob Featheringill, Joel Featheringill, Dale Fry, Dave Getter, Michelle Gullett, Jay Gullet, Jim Hiebertshausen, Tom Hiebertshausen, Doug Heyman, Tonya Heyman, Ron Heyman, Gary Jordan, Sue Jordan, Jeff Kocher, Don Martin, Dean Montoney, Jim Ruffing, Martha Senn, Shelly Smith, Bud Swartz.